"DCC Installation Service Available. "
Hornby Railroad GWR 4-4-0 "County of Flint" County Class R3157
A Brief History
Early in 1904 there appeared from Swindon Works a new class of 4-4-0 locomotive, the original County Class. It was one of the early designs of the famous G.W.R Chief Mechanical Engineer, G.J.Churchward. A further nine appeared that year, another 20 in 1906, and a final 10 in 1911 and 1912. The Counties straightaway showed they could maintain a good turn of speed, working regularly on the fast two-hour expresses from Paddington to Birmingham, one member of the Class being recorded at 82 mph between Southam Road and Leamington. Drivers found them roughish riders, and eventually it was the concentration by the GWR on six-coupled locomotives for passenger work, with their better adhesion, that accounted for the relatively short life of the first counties. They were nicknamed "highsteppers" as the cab was perched above a flight of three steps!